Basic Function/Purpose: The Assistant Director provides dynamic, hands-on leadership for facility and operational needs of the Campus Recreation Center (CRC) and supplemental assistance with the Fitness Center (FC). This position requires an individual with proven leadership experience capable of working on a fast-paced, results-oriented team. A vital component of this position is a demonstrated ability to work autonomously with initiative, critical and creative thinking, as well as a strong commitment to collaboration, student development, and customer service. Overall responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Provide strategic planning and oversight for all facility and operational needs including housekeeping, maintenance, capital projects, climbing wall and teambuilding programming, event coordination, facility scheduling, etc.
• Hire, train, develop, manage, and evaluate Coordinator of Facility Operations.
• Supervise daily management of the 200,000+ square foot CRC and provide supplemental assistance with the 12,000+ square foot FC facilities and equipment.
• Recruit, hire, train, develop, schedule, supervise, coordinate payroll and evaluate building supervisors and team building staff.
• Develop and monitor an approved facilities and operations annual operating and capital budget for event and programming revenue and expenses.
• Coordinate housekeeping and maintenance needs.
• Oversee capital projects and renovations at the CRC and CARE.
• Assist with facility and equipment purchase, repair and replacement.
• Market, promote, and coordinate revenue generating team building program.
• Coordinate communication of facility information to members and the campus community including: responding to member suggestions, complaints, needs and interests in a timely manner, Campus Rec e-News, comment cards, website updates, and photography requests.
• Coordinate overall facility signage including promotional and operational signage campaigns, and policy and procedure updates.
• Provide departmental leadership for risk management and emergency action plan, including serving as co-chair of the Campus Recreation Risk Management Committee. Assist with code blue drills and instruct safety training courses and in-service training for student staff.
• Maintain accurate participant and program data and compile usage reports.
• Utilize CSI member management software including event management, program registration, reporting, etc.
• Serve as co-chair of department Risk Management Committee. Maintain and track Campus Recreation incident reports and act as a liaison with the Office of Student Conduct & Community Standards.
• Administer and develop policies and procedures for facility security and systems including: Bearcat card access system, KeyWatcher key management system, ID and key requests, alarm code activation, security systems, and loading dock access for both facilities.
• Develop, evaluate, and revise policies, procedures, and operation protocols to ensure safe and well-managed facility.
• Assist with the planning and implementation of facility rentals and special events.
• Assist in recruiting, hiring, training, developing, scheduling, supervising, and evaluating Climbing Wall Staff and management of the Climbing Wall.
• Primary responsibilities may be determined based on Facility Operations team strengths and interests.
• Work with marketing department to plan and distribute marketing pieces, website updates, etc.
• Direct and maintain excellent member and visitor services and relations.
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree with three (3) years experience; -OR- Associate’s degree with five (5) years experience; -OR- seven (7) years experience. Experience must be in program development or business administration. Experience must include at least one (1) year of supervision. Experience and a strong background in recreation/athletic operations including facility and staff supervision, event planning, facility scheduling and risk management. Ability to assist in event setup that may require lifting in excess of 30lbs.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s degree in recreation, sports management, or business management. Minimum of three (3) years professional experience in Campus Recreation or related field. Excellent organizational and time management skills. Demonstrated leadership and supervisory abilities. Administrative skills including strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to handle multiple tasks with frequent interruptions. Analytical skills to identify problems, assess alternatives, render consistent and logical decisions. Ability to thrive in an environment that values high expectations, accountability, and balanced lifestyles. Entrepreneurial spirit and enthusiasm. Ability to work both independently with minimal supervision and as a team player. Experience in Climbing Wall operations.
Compensation: Salary range ($46,000-$56,000). Commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Applicants must apply via the UC website. Position open until filled. Review of applications will begin immediately.
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP).
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / M / F / Veteran / Disabled.