All applications must be submitted through the University of Minnesota employment site using the following link: https://hr.myu.umn.edu/jobs/ext/328481
The deadline for applications is February 24, 2019
The Personal Fitness & Wellness Manager contributes to the departmental mission and vision by managing the day-to-day operations of the personal training, small group training, fitness assessments, and massage therapy program at the University Recreation & Wellness Center in Minneapolis and St. Paul Gymnasium. This position reports to the Director of Fitness & Wellness and works collaboratively with part-time and full-time staff to provide education and wellness services while creating a welcoming and inclusive environment. Hours of work are 9:00am to 5:30pm, with some variability to include nights and weekends.
The starting salary for this position is $43,000.
Management / Administrative (70%)
● Manage day-to-day operations of a comprehensive personal training program including fitness assessment offerings such as Bod Pod®, Functional Movement Screenings, and other physiological and biometric assessments.
● Responsible for the supervision of 30-35 personal fitness and wellness staff; including personal trainers, massage therapists and lead student wellness staff.
● Provide on-going development opportunities and training (i.e. conferences and certifications) for all supervised staff as it relates to their field of expertise and job duties.
● Collaborate with University entities and external University partners to advance fitness and wellness and department initiatives (i.e. biometric screenings, FitFest, Employee Wellness Program, etc.).
● Evaluate, plan, and execute programmatic efforts to add or improve upon wellness services; Maintain statistical data and participation records related to personal wellness services.
● Responsible for working with Marketing Team on implementation of marketing plan as well as on-going and post-program evaluation.
● Provide purchase recommendations and needs to the Director of Fitness & Wellness for massage therapy, small group training, fitness assessments, and personal training.
● Communicate with interdepartmental areas essential in effective administration of fitness and wellness programs and services.
● Coordinate a diverse group of 8-12 small group training programs, specialty programming, and massage therapy services while evaluating national/campus trends and needs. Establish program goals; evaluate and implement recommendations for improvements.
● Coordinate the American Council on Exercise (ACE) Personal Trainer Exam Prep Course.
● Assist with fitness and wellness-related special events (i.e. health fairs, lifestyle and biometric screenings, Tri-U-Mah).
Department / University Involvement (5%):
● Present health and wellness-related information to the university community as requested.
● Attend department meetings and serve on Department/University committee(s) as needed.
● Bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology, Exercise Science or a related field and 2 years’ experience working in a health / fitness facility or a combination of related education and work experience to equal six years; national fitness / health certification may substitute for years of experience
● At least 1 year of supervisory experience for full-time or part-time staff
● At least 2 years of supervisory experience for full-time or part-time staff
● Master’s Degree in Kinesiology, Exercise Science or related field
● 2 -3 years’ experience in campus recreation setting, including displayed evidence of supervisory experience (graduate assistantship acceptable)
● NCCA accredited certification such as ACSM, ACE, NASM, or NSCA Certification.